This page is dedicated to projects related to the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, accessories, kits, tips and projects created by WTT! There are a number of projects we plan to cover over the coming months, so please check back regularly as this page will be fairly dynamic.
What is the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B?
The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is the latest version of the Raspberry Pi released by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, which I will refer to as the RPi4b from here on out. The RPi4b was released on June 24th, 2019 and remains true to it’s original $35 USD price point. This new version of the popular Raspberry Pi single-board-computer (SBC) comes with many new or enhanced capabilities, such as:
- A faster processor – 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU
- Can be purchased with 1GB, 2GB or even 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
- Full Gigabit Ethernet
- Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking (Wi-fi)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Two USB 3.0 ports (great for external HDD or other high-speed communications) and two USB 2.0 ports (great for keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Dual monitor support with resolution support up to 4k
- VideoCore VI Graphics, which supports OpenGL ES 3.x
- 4kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
- Compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products
The cost of the RPi model will depend on the RAM that you wish to have installed. The pricing for the 1GB model remains at $35 USD pricing which is impressive for a device with so many features.
Where to Order
You can pick up your RPi4b from the following links below.
- Raspberry Pi 4 Computer Desktop Kit – this kit includes the following: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU, 4 GB LPDDR2 RAM, Official USB-C Power Supply (5-foot cable), Official Raspberry Pi White/Red Case, Official Raspberry Pi Keyboard and Mouse, Official Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable (3-foot cable), MicroSD Card w/NOOBS & Official Raspberry Pi Beginner’s Guide.
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM Starter Kit) – this kit has most everything you need including the RPi4b with 4GB RAM, 32GB microSD card, USB-C Power Supply, heat sinks, micro HDMI to HDMI cable (6ft.).
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Basic Starter Kit with Official Case (1GB RAM) – this is the lowest price model with a RPi4b with 1GB of RAM, Official USB-C Power Supply, Official RPi case, microHDMI to HDMI cbale (6ft.) and heat sinks. Keep in mind, the RAM is not up-gradable so if you buy this kit you’re stuck with 1GB of RAM.
Problem 1: If you receive an error when updating the Recommended Software that states: “Error updating package data – E: Repository ‘http://raspian.raspberrypi.org/raspian buster InRelease’ changed its ‘Suite’ value from ‘testing’ to ‘stable’ here’s how to correct it:
- Open the shell/command line prompt from the task bar.
- Type: sudo apt update -y (press ENTER)
- Type: sudo apt-get update (press ENTER)
- Type: sudo apt-get upgrade (press ENTER)
- Press ENTER, press ‘y’ if prompted.
- Once complete, you can click the Raspberry icon and select Shutdown/Reboot or simply type: sudo reboot (press ENTER).
You should now be able to update the Recommended Software.
Problem 2: The Raspberry Pi 4 shows a thermometer icon in the upper-right.
There are a couple options, if your Raspberry Pi 4 does not currently have any heat-sinks installed, you may want to buy a set. They are typically very inexpensive. Alternatively, you could purchase a replacement case which has better cooling qualities. We will be reviewing the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit soon which we have been told cools the Raspberry Pi 4 much better. We’ll know soon!
This section will contain videos, articles, etc. that WTT has created related to un-boxing, setup and projects for the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. Our first video on this impressive single-board computer may be found at the top of this page. More interesting topics will be covered soon, below is our near-term video lineup.
RPi 4 Related Video Lineup
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit
- Running RetroPie on the Raspberry Pi 4
- Building a RPi 4 Laptop
- many other ideas…