Last Update: 6/11/2022
Below, we’ll discuss the AtGames Legends Core. There are a number of AtGames products that utilize the Legends Core, for example:
- Legends Core – does not include a controller, however you can pair an existing Bluetooth controller that you may already have have, a Gamer Mini, etc.
- Legends Core with Legends GamePad (also known as Legends Core Plus) – this version includes the Legends Core and the wireless GamePad controller for a more complete solution.
- Pincade Starter Kit (52 Tables) – Essentially the same as the Legends Core Plus, with 52 Pinball tables also included.
- Legends Core Max – Coming sometime in 2022, this is an upgraded version of the Legends Core and features 1080p/60fps pinball gaming.
- At it’s heart, the Legends Gamer Mini also utilizes the Legends Core. However, you can find a separate guide for the Gamer Mini here.
I’ll share below what is known about the AtGames Legends Core (+Plus / Max) or LC for short. I hope that you find this guide helpful, if there is anything you would like to see added please comment in the video above and let me know. –Jon
What is the Legends Core?
The Legends Core is a low-cost alternative to the Legends Gamer Mini, Legends Ultimate and Legends Pinball. This device is inexpensive, but packs many of the same features you would find on AtGames higher-end products. The core itself resembles a hockey puck and it is the brains of the device. The core plugs into your existing HDMI TV/Monitor, has WiFi, Bluetooth and Ethernet for connectivity. As a result, you can easily connect a wireless GamePad to the Core and play many games. If you received the Legends Core Plus, a GamePad is included with the package.
Now, let’s talk about the games themselves. This device includes 100 built-in and licensed arcade and console games. Some you may know others you may not. You can play far more games beyond the included 100 games in various ways. For example, you can connect to ArcadeNet and stream games from the AtGames servers. Under AppStoreX, you can purchase and install well over 100 Pinball tables. Additionally, you can install thousands more Arcade games using CoinOpsX and a USB thumb drive. Below, we’ll cover all of this and more.
The following are the specifications and features of the AtGames Legends Core :
- 100 licensed arcade and console games
- “Plus” and “Pincade Starter” version includes the Legends GamePad
- Track your high scores
- Change aspect ratios and display parameters on a per-game basis for a custom look
- Fun screensaver options to leave your Legends device in attract mode
- Parental controls
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity
- Legends Core Size: 4.2 x 1.00 inches
The following are a collection of resources that may be helpful to you :
- AtGames Legends Core – AtGames website product page.
- Official AtGames Legends Arcade Family Support Page – Receive direct customer support using this page. There is also a purple chat icon (lower-right) which will get you in touch with a customer service representative during normal business hours (see link for details).
- AtGames official YouTube Channel – Many helpful videos and updates.
- Official Global Arcade Fan Page (Facebook)
- List of Controllers – Special thank you to Dudemo who provided a list of controllers which may work with the Legends series of devices.
- Legends Core Instruction Manual – This is the manual included with the Legends Core.
- Full licensed (included) Game List – List of all games included and shipped with the Legends Core.
AtGames News Updates
For the latest AtGames News, visit the AtGames News Updates page.
The AtGames Legends Core may be found at the following locations:
The following are some accessories that you may find interesting or to enhance your experience with the core:
- Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB – USB 3.1 Flash Drive for adding additional applications (CoinOpsX, Pinball Tables, etc.)
The Legends GamePad
** IMPORTANT NOTE ** While the Legends GamePad I tested worked well with the Legends Core, the experience was not the same when I tested it on the Legends Pinball or Legends Ultimate (testing on the ALP couldn’t occur at the time of this review due to firmware issues with the ALP+CoinOpsX which is now fixed in FW 5.64.0+). On the Legends Pinball, the controller would connect, shortly after entering CoinOpsX, it would disconnect. Then, after pressing Menu+X (to re-pair), the volume level shot up all the way on the ALP. Not a good experience. Use the Arcade Control panel on the ALP for CoinOpsX, not the Legends GamePad.
I then decided to try the Legends GamePad controller on the Legends Ultimate to play a 3-Player game of Warlords. Connecting was fine, but shortly after the controller would repeatedly vibrate every second.
Both issues have been reported to AtGames and tickets created. I recommend using the Arcade Control panel for Legends Pinball and not the GamePad (at this time). For the Legends Ultimate, I recommend not using the GamePad.
My recommendation: only use the GamePad with the Legends Core and not on the ALP/ALU. When these issues are fixed, I will remove this statement.
The Pincade Starter Kit and the Legends Core Plus both include the Legends GamePad with the product. This controller is much lighter than an XBox controller, but works rather well. It also includes a rumble feature, this feature makes it possible for the controller to provide feedback which is great while playing Pinball tables.
The rumble feature for Pinball isn’t yet publicly released, but will be coming in early 2022. In the video above, I was provided with an early version which does include the rumble functionality and it worked out very well while playing Zaccaria and TAITO pinball tables.
Pair the Legends GamePad
The following steps will assist you in pairing the Legends GamePad to the Legends Core (the “puck”) :
- Power on the Legends Core (puck).
- With the controller, press + hold the green AtGames/Menu button and X Button for a couple of seconds to enter wireless pairing mode. The 3rd LED will begin to flash rapidly.
- Press the wireless pairing button on the Legends Core (the “puck”), the pairing window will show on the screen. A quick press will allow cycling through all the found devices in the list, one at a time.
- Press the wireless pairing button until the Legends GamePad is highlighted. Then, press and hold the wireless pairing button on the Legends Core until the pairing is confirmed. Give it a little bit of time to pair.
- You should see the blinking LED turn to a solid red once connected. Give it a few more seconds, then you should be able to navigate the menu.
- That’s it!
There are 100 included arcade and console games which ship with the Legends Core. These games include many popular titles such as: Bad Dudes, Burger Time, Elevator Action, Space Invaders, Tetris and many others. It is a nice selection of games, though not as many games are available compared to the ALU.
Upload High Scores
Many of the included games support the ability to upload your high-score to the on-line leaderboards. Here’s how:
- Once your game is finished, click the AtGames/Menu button and select Save High Score.
- You’ll then see the results of your game with your score highlighted, press A to Proceed.
- Use the Joystick to enter your initials (left/right and up/down).
- Press A to submit your score. When you exit the game, your score will be uploaded to the AtGames servers.
- That’s it!
Detailed CoinOpsX Guide
CoinOpsX allows you to play those classic Arcade Games that may not be available from AtGames. For a full guide on how to setup CoinOpsX, visit the AtGames CoinOpsX Guide.
If you’re looking for the AtGames CoinOpsX Guide (saUCEy Edition) (Horizontal/Landscape), please see the guide here.
For an explanation of each of the options that are available in the Settings tab, please see the Settings Guide.
Mastering the settings on the Legends Core isn’t difficult. Though, when you’re first getting started knowing how to navigate the UI may be a little challenging. Below we’ll cover some basics to get you going.
- Navigating the Menus – Use the left joystick or d-pad to move up/down/left right to select the tiles or the menu/tabs at the top. You will typically press A to select an option or B to go back. However, check the bottom of each screen as it will provide more tips on other options/buttons that are available.
- Favorites List – You can create a favorites list of all your favorite games using the following:
- Select the game from the list and press A (don’t launch it, just browse to the game menu).
- Then press the C button to toggle the Favorite selection.
- Press B to go back to the Game selection.
- Press the AtGames/home button.
- Using the left stick or d-pad move down into to the Favorites option and press the A button.
- Now you’ll only see your favorite games (if nothing is there, you didn’t add a game to the Favorites list).
- Return to All Games (from Favorites) – To return to seeing All Games:
- Highlight one of the games in the list.
- Press the AtGames/Menu button.
- Select All Games and press A.
- Now you should see All Games.
- Filtering Game List – Using the same technique shown above for Return to All Games, you can also filter by other categories: All Games, Featured, Favorites, Leaderboard, Recent, Channels (Atari, Data East, Disney, etc.), Platforms (Arcade, Atari 2600, Genesis, etc.)
- Updating the Firmware – Login using your ArcadeNet account first, then: On the top tab bar, go to Settings → Version (x.y.z) and press the A button. If no update exists, press the B Button to exit. Otherwise, select the Download option. Once complete, select the Update option (this may take ~10+ min. to apply the firmware update). The machine will restart and display the status on the display while updating, then it will reboot once more when the firmware update has completed.
- Factory Reset the Core– Power off the device. Press and hold the recovery button with a pin. Power on, then press and hold the P1 START + MENU buttons while you continue to hold the recovery button. Once you see the factory reset prompt, release all buttons. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Setup Flash Drive X
Flash Drive X is an application which may be found on the device in the Settings menu. You’ll use this to prepare a new USB stick for use on your machine. If you don’t already have a USB drive, one I recommend may be found here. After formatting and mounting the drive, you may then install your purchased pinball tables, install additional applications (i.e. CoinOpsX, etc.) and more. Formatting using Flash Drive X only needs to be done once, then mount the drive.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB 3.0 port on your Legends Core (there is only one USB port).
- Watch the upper-right of the main display and make sure the USB stick is a solid image (not flashing).
- Navigate to the Settings tab (top of the screen) and locate/launch the Flash Drive X tile.
- Once loaded, you’ll want to select the Format button (all data on the USB drive will be erased).
- After selecting Format, select Yes.
- When done, click on Dismiss.
- Now click the Mount button to activate the USB drive on the arcade platform.
- Click Yes to mount.
- When done, click on Dismiss.
- Press B to back out of Flash Drive X.
- Your USB drive is now ready to allow installation of additional applications, pinball tables, etc.
How to Redeem a Code
Redeeming a code on the machine is very easy. Below are some basic instructions to demonstrate:
- Using the left stick or d-pad, navigate to the Settings tab.
- Move down and to the right until you see My Digital Locker.
- On the left, you’ll see New Codes and Redeemed Codes, select New Codes and Press the A button.
- Select the code you wish to redeem and press the A button.
- Your code has been redeemed!
How to Install Applications
The following will provide the basic steps to install a pinball volume or application. If you have already used Flash Drive X to prepare your USB drive, continue below. If not, please see here.
- Navigate to the AppStoreX tab at the top.
- Select the Volume or application you wish to install.
- Press A to select.
- Move the joystick to the Install button and Press A. The volume or application will be downloaded and installed.
- Press A on the Close button.
- Press B to return to AppStoreX.
How to Uninstall Applications
If you wish to uninstall a volume or application, below are the steps to do so.
- Navigate to the AppStoreX tab at the top.
- Select the Volume or application you wish to un-install.
- Press A to select.
- Select the Uninstall button and Press A. The application will then be uninstalled.
- Press A on Exit to return to AppStoreX.
ArcadeNet is a service provided by AtGames for your device which provides a number of features which consist of both free (basic) and paid for (standard) services. For details about the creation of your ArcadeNet account, please see the AtGames ArcadeNet page here (scroll towards the bottom).
In addition to leaderboards, ArcadeNet also lets you stream games from a virtual server in the cloud to your machine. There is no need to install anything. For the best results, you’ll want to connect an Ethernet cable to the Legends Core instead of WiFi. While both will work, you’ll get much better performance with an Ethernet cable attached. When you play a multi-player game from the Lobby, you’re accessing a remote server to play your opponent.
This section will provide answers to common issues.
- Can’t navigate up/down in CoinOpsX while in Portrait Mode – This has been an issue for sometime and is being worked on. However, if your core is in horizontal mode, you will be able to navigate up/down in CoinOpsX.
If the above Troubleshooting information did not help resolve the issue, you can also contact AtGames for assistance by clicking the image below.
More tips are coming, this is just a start. If you have your own, please share them by adding a comment in any of my AtGames YouTube videos.
- How to Pause a Game – A quick and easy way to pause a game is to simply press the AtGames/Menu button. Just press it again to resume.
- Firmware Updates – AtGames typically releases new firmware every Thursday. It’s a good idea to download the updates periodically. They often include new features, fixes and overall improvements to the system.
- Can I add More Games? – Yes you can! If you want to play thousands of classic Arcade Games (in addition to the included 100 games) check out the CoinOpsX guide here. It will step you through how to partition your USB drive, copy the files and run the AddOnX tool. Once done, several thousand games can be easily played and you only need a USB drive (128GB or larger recommended).
- 2022-06-11 – Updated Resources with CS information.
- 2022-06-02 – Updated News heading.
- 2022-04-05 – Added AtGames support graphic and link.
- 2022-01-31 – Additional updates; Added Settings Guide
- 2021-12-22 – Start to this guide